Poor ath9k AP performance vs. ath5k
Grant
2011-08-13 04:33:10 UTC
Using my ISP's throughput test:

http://speedtest.oceanic.com

I get drastically better performance from my Netgear ath5k card in AP
mode compared to my Ubiquiti SR71-E in AP mode. I'm connecting to
either card via a Ubiquiti SR71-E installed in my laptop. The txpower
setting on the AP doesn't seem to make any difference. I've tried
connecting different antennas to the Ubiquiti with no change. Is this
to be expected?

- Grant
Adrian Chadd
2011-08-13 10:14:56 UTC
Can you try doing some iperf testing to a local linux box, through the APs?

I'm noticing some strange issues in FreeBSD with the SR71-E, but
nothing which would cause that kind of performance issue.

Thanks,

Adrian
Grant
2011-08-13 18:59:24 UTC
Post by Adrian Chadd
Can you try doing some iperf testing to a local linux box, through the APs?
Here's what I came up with pertaining to the SR71-E:

1. the performance of 802.11n in AP mode is good, about 15Mbit/s
2. the performance of 802.11g in AP mode is horrible, very unreliable
and just a few hundred Kbit/s at best
3. the performance of 802.11b in AP mode is good, about 4.5Mbit/s

The same iperf tests with a Netgear ath5k card:

1. the performance of 802.11g in AP mode should be better, about 5.5Mbit/s
2. the performance of 802.11b in AP mode is good, 4.5Mbit/s
Post by Adrian Chadd
I'm noticing some strange issues in FreeBSD with the SR71-E, but
nothing which would cause that kind of performance issue.
What sort of things are you seeing from the SR71-E?

- Grant
Post by Adrian Chadd
Thanks,
Adrian
- Grant
Adrian Chadd
2011-08-14 02:21:03 UTC
Oh, I see fine 11g behaviour.

Can you do some iperf tests both to and from the AP, and contrast?
(ie, with the AP mostly TXing, and the AP mostly RXing.)

Adrian
Post by Adrian Chadd
I'm noticing some strange issues in FreeBSD with the SR71-E, but
nothing which would cause that kind of performance issue.
What sort of things are you seeing from the SR71-E?
- Grant
Post by Adrian Chadd
Thanks,
Adrian
Grant
2011-08-14 03:51:17 UTC
Post by Adrian Chadd
Oh, I see fine 11g behaviour.
Can you do some iperf tests both to and from the AP, and contrast?
(ie, with the AP mostly TXing, and the AP mostly RXing.)
Adrian
I've found that I can't connect to the SR71-E intermittently so I've
removed it from the system altogether for now. I've spent way too
much time on wifi experimentation lately but I'll reinstall it and run
some more tests soon. Has anyone else been unable to connect to the
SR71-E in AP mode intermittently? ifconfig and iwconfig look fine but
I can't connect even after shutting down and starting up again. I've
run into this problem a few times with the SR71-E and I'm always able
to connect again eventually, but this last time I gave up and
installed my Netgear ath5k card which works great in AP mode all the
time.

- Grant
Post by Adrian Chadd
Post by Adrian Chadd
I'm noticing some strange issues in FreeBSD with the SR71-E, but
nothing which would cause that kind of performance issue.
What sort of things are you seeing from the SR71-E?
- Grant
Post by Adrian Chadd
Thanks,
Adrian
- Grant
Grant
2011-08-14 21:48:15 UTC
Post by Adrian Chadd
Oh, I see fine 11g behaviour.
Can you do some iperf tests both to and from the AP, and contrast?
(ie, with the AP mostly TXing, and the AP mostly RXing.)
OK, I couldn't resist so I reinstalled the SR71-E and tested again.
802.11g seems to be working fine now. I get 7.75Mbit/s from 802.11g.
I get 5.25Mbit/s from 802.11b and anywhere from 3-4Mbit/s from 802.11n
so I think I have an interference problem on channel 11. I get
10-13Mbit/s from 802.11n on channel 1. I can't get 5Ghz to work at
all so I'll start a separate thread for that.

- Grant
Post by Adrian Chadd
Adrian
Post by Adrian Chadd
I'm noticing some strange issues in FreeBSD with the SR71-E, but
nothing which would cause that kind of performance issue.
What sort of things are you seeing from the SR71-E?
- Grant
Post by Adrian Chadd
Thanks,
Adrian
- Grant
Luca Olivetti
2011-08-13 12:27:34 UTC
Post by Grant
I get drastically better performance from my Netgear ath5k card in AP
mode compared to my Ubiquiti SR71-E in AP mode. I'm connecting to
either card via a Ubiquiti SR71-E installed in my laptop. The txpower
setting on the AP doesn't seem to make any difference. I've tried
connecting different antennas to the Ubiquiti with no change. Is this
to be expected?
Yes, I have another chip (ar9223) but same poor performance (around 7Mbps, IIRC).

Bye
--
Luca